Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Preston Blake Mosley


Our precious baby boy arrived Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 2:23 p.m. He weighed in at 7 pounds and 15 ounces. My labor and birth experience was definitely a bit surprising. My water broke at midnight on 11/4 while I was sleeping. It took me a few minutes to realize what happened. I was used to getting up a few times a night anyway for potty breaks and my first thought was that I didn't make it in time. Once I was sure, I quietly said "Um, Blake, I think my water just broke". It took about 1.5 seconds for Blake to awaken from his deep sleep and say "Let's Go". Now some may call me vain but at this point I was not contracting at all and had no pain. Therefore, I decided to take me a nice shower, fix my hair and put on some make-up. I wanted to look presentable when my son saw me for the first time :) But, anyone who knows my husband knows he is not the most patient of men. He paced around me the whole time hurrying me along and mumbling remarks about me giving birth right there in Trussville. It makes me laugh thinking about it. We were off to the hospital around 1:30 a.m. On our way there I said "Well, we're going here two and coming home three". Once we arrived at the hospital, the nurse examined me and confirmed my water was broken but I was still only 1 cm dilated. I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure it would have been more. I still could not feel any contractions so she let us rest a while to see if they would kick in. When 5:00 a.m. was approaching, I had the tee-tee urge. Come to find out they will not let you out of the bed once your water breaks so here comes the bed pan. Somehow the baby did not like when this happened and his heart rate dropped. It was a very scary moment because the nurse had no time to explain to me what was happening. They turned my bed nearly upside down to get his heart rate up and threw an oxygen mask on me. Everything was fine after a few minutes but needless to say, I was teary-eyed and scared afterwards. Thankfully it didn't happen again. My contractions still had not kicked in so I was given Pitocin (sp?) to get them kick-started. It worked. I was given my epidural around 10:00 a.m. when the pain got worse. I expected the epidural to be very painful but it was a breeze. Unfortunately, that was the only "breezy" experience. By noon, I felt lots of painful pressure with every contraction. I was told this was normal so I thought I was just a wimp. I started pushing around 1:15 and did so for about an hour. By the time he was beginning to crown, I was feeling a lot of pain in places that I shouldn't have felt with an epidural. The nurses realized my epidural had worn off but it was too late. He was coming anyway. So...I got to experience natural delivery :) Although my labor and delivery was not what I had anticipated, it was suddenly all worth it when they placed my baby in my arms. I finally got to meet the wonderful little person that grew in my womb over the past nine months and stole my heart from the second I heard his beat. Nothing prepared me for the instantaneous love that you feel for your own child. I feel so protective of this precious baby that God entrusted to us and thankful for the blessing of becoming parents. What a wonderful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment