Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bunko Menu & Recipes

I hosted Bunko at my house last night for my awesome group of girls and I wanted to share the menu and recipes. It was about 40 degrees last night (kind of crazy this early into fall) and we played outside. So under the circumstances I wanted to make sure we had some warm comfort food to "stick to our bones."

Our menu consisted of:
Chicken Spaghetti
Oven-Baked Green Beans
Legendary Lionhouse Rolls
Blackberry Cobbler



Chicken Spaghetti - I tried the Chicken Spaghetti recipe from Mommy's Kitchen and it was fabulous! It's a lot easier to just give you the link to her recipe instead of me typing it all again so here it is! Chicken Spaghetti

Oven-Baked Green Beans - I used a recipe that a friend and fellow bunko player made for us one night and it's still my favorite! And so easy! This is not an exact measurement kind of recipe. You just add to your taste.

You will need:
Canned Green Beans
Brown Sugar
Bacon Bits
Butter

Rinse and drain greens beans. Add to casserole dish. Add remaining ingredients to your taste. I usually add a few tbls of each per can of green beans. Mix together and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Stir and serve!

Legendary Lionhouse Rolls - This is also a recipe from Mommy's Kitchen. Can you tell I love her blog? This was my first time making homemade rolls and it was a long but fun experience. It's not hard, you just have to allow time for the dough to rise a few times. I made the dough and rolls early in the day and then put them in the refrigerator until time to bake. My first mistake was not taking them out in time to rise back up before baking. My second mistake was baking them on the lower rack of the oven (the top was full of chicken spaghetti). Therefore my rolls ended up a little less puffy and a little too brown on the bottom. HOWEVER, they still tasted great and I would definitely recommend the recipe. Next time I think they will be just perfect! Here's the link Legendary Lionhouse Rolls

Blackberry Cobbler - This has become my husband's favorite dessert since I made it the first time a few months ago. He made me promise to save him some to eat after Bunko was over. This is a great recipe for this fall and winter. I found it over at Allrecipes - love that website too. However, I did tweak the "putting together" process which I think is lots easier. I have included the original directions as well as my own notes on how I did it.

You will need:
1 cup butter or margarine, divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
1/3 cup milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar

In a 10-in. round or oval baking dish, melt 1/2 cup butter; set aside. In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts; set aside. Place flour in a mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead three or four times. Roll out to an 11-in. x 9-in. rectangle 1/4 in. thick. Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Cut into 1/4-in. thick slices. Carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter. Pour sugar syrup around slices (syrup will be absorbed). Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over top and bake 15 minutes more. Serve warm or cold. (*If self-rising flour is not available, use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder.)

My Notes: I only melted 1/4 cup of butter in the pan and it is plenty. Instead of doing the jelly-roll style method, I opted for rolling out my dough into two sheets of dough the size of the pan. I put one sheet of dough on top of the melted butter in the pan, added the blackberres and cinnamon, topped it with the second sheet of dough and then poured the sugar syrup on top.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment