Monday, July 12, 2010

Rice Bowl

This is a new one we tried out this week. Blake loves rice bowls and he gave me some ideas as to what to add to ours. It turned out very tasty. These ingredients can be changed depending on your likes/dislikes.

You will need:

1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken tenderloins (I use pre-trimmed ones)
Brown or White Rice (enough for six servings). I use Uncle Ben's brown rice. It takes 30 minutes to cook but it's better than instant.
1 small onion or 1/2 of a large onion
1/2 bell pepper
1 can yellow corn, drained
1 tsp minced garlic
Olive oil and seasonings for chicken
Salsa (optional)

Prepare rice according to the package instructions. While rice is cooking, begin cooking the chicken tenders in a large skillet, along with 2 tbsp olive oil and garlic. In addition, I added some seasoning salt, garlic powder, black pepper, dried basil and about 1/4 c. fat-free Italian dressing. It was incredibly flavorful! Once the chicken is done, remove and set aside. Using the same pan, add 2 more tbsp olive oil and saute the onion and bell pepper until tender. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Return the chicken to the pan of sauted veggies and add cooked rice and corn. Mix well and heat through. You may want to add a little more salt and pepper during this process. My husband likes to add salsa to his but I preferred mine without. The picture is without salsa. I apologize for the bad picture. I took it when I packed up the leftovers.

This recipe is about 4 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment