What a mouthful! That's the term told to me by husband's doctor when he phoned to explain why he was admitting Blake into the hospital - a collapsed lung. Here I am cleaning the house, fully aware that Blake is at the doctor's office for some chest pain. He had begun to feel the pain the night before, along with a cough and headache. We both thought he might be coming down with pneumonia. Wrong. I couldn't believe it when Blake told me the diagnosis. I immediately freaked out and got upset, not knowing what this meant. This is why the doctor called me to further explain. Basically, there was a "pocket" of air outside of the lung which causes it to collapse. It is termed "spontaneous" if there is no underlying problem to cause the collapse (i.e. injury or lung disease). The doctor assured me the problem could be corrected but Blake would need to be admitted for observation to be sure nothing got worse. I don't care what anyone says, when I'm told my husband is being hospitalized for an illness that affects his breathing, I'm going to be scared and upset. God is so good though. As soon we I hung up the phone, I prayed for Blake and for peace of mind to get us through this situation. I felt so helpless but God reminded me that he is in control and would get us through this.
Blake spent a day and full night in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask. The goal of the oxygen was to help the escaped air around the lungs be reabsorbed more quickly. Thankfully, this worked for Blake. Otherwise, they would have placed a needle in the lung to try and remove some of the air. Blake's X-ray the next morning confirmed it was getting better. The doctors told Blake there is no timeline for full recovery. They said as long as the pain did not get worse, he may expect to feel pain and discomfort for a while. It's also possible for this to happen again, though there is nothing specific he can avoid to prevent it. However, Blake was instructed to take the rest of this week off from work and no work-outs for a month. The latter was the toughest blow for Blake. He and I have been doing the P90X program for the past two months and besides the benefits of the exercise, we really enjoy doing it together. He has lost 30 pounds in the last four months and I'm so proud of how hard he has worked for it. But the most important thing is keeping Blake healthy so a month is not that much time in the long run.
So the three of us have been laying low this week and getting Blake to rest as much as possible. I love taking care of my two boys :) Side note: I really felt I needed to be with Blake in the hospital so we experienced our first night away from Preston. My parents graciously spent the night at our house while we were gone. I was afraid Preston would not do so well away from his crib so having them at our house gave me more peace of mind. And he did great! I'm so glad he was such a good boy for his grandparents. We sure missed him though!!!
We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers received for Blake. We have such wonderful family and friends!
Stay tuned for Preston's 9 month update!
No comments:
Post a Comment