Let's start off with Preston's happenings. We had our first trip to the ER a few days before Thanksgiving. He came down with what I assumed was a cold, given his cough, runny nose and frequent sneezing. That was on a Sunday. By Monday I noticed his was breathing through his mouth a lot. Again, I assumed it was due to his nose being stuffy. By Monday evening I could hear a wheezy noise coming from him with almost every breath. He was also breathing a little harder. That did it. I'm on the phone calling the doctor while simultaneously scouring the internet for answers. I see stuff about pneumonia and respiratory distress and I freak out. The nurse informs me to go ahead and take him to Children's. Thankfully Blake had just gotten home from work so we loaded up and headed out. The ER waiting room was
He received two breathing treatments which were absolute torture for Preston. He doesn't like to be held down anyway but we had to hold the mask on him for a solid 30-45 minutes both times. He would literally cry until he passed out. It was heartbreaking for us. The doctors couldn't give us a definite diagnosis but said it could have been from his cold or possibly asthma. They treated him as if was the latter and sent us home with an inhaler and steroids. We were told if he gets these breathing issues every time he gets sick, it could mean he has asthma. I personally don't think he does because he's never wheezed like this before when sick. We will pray it was a one-time incident. The last thing they did was clear out nose and mouth and we had to hold him down for that one too...poor guy did not have a fun night. They almost kept him overnight but after the breathing treatments his oxygen levels went back up to about 97 so they gave us the okay to go home. He didn't wheeze anymore once we left the hospital and he was back to his normal self in a few days. I'm so thankful!
No comments:
Post a Comment