Monday, January 24, 2011

THE Ball


Forget a security blanket or favorite stuffed animal...my child is infatuated with this red ball. It is actually part of a set of 3 balls that came with a basketball hoop for the bathtub. The other two balls are different colors, one yellow with blue stars and one purple with blue stripes. He will play with the others in the tub but the red ball is in constant attendance.

Let me just break it down for you. He sleeps with it. He drinks (one-handed) with it. He eats with it. I tried to take it away today at lunch while I was feeding him. He refused to eat anymore until I gave it back. Sheesh. Yesterday we were in Walmart (ball in tow of course) and I gave him his snack cup. It's the kind with the flaps for no spill (love). Anyway, he was holding the ball with one hand and reaching for his snacks with the other and couldn't quite get his hand back out with his snack because his other hand was unavailable to hold the cup steady. He pitched a fit. I tried to explain that if he would put his ball down, there would be no problem. I ended up holding the cup. Stinker.

And since Preston is still not walking without support from an object or person, he crawls arounds like he is gimping because he won't let go of the ball.

It's adorable though to see how much he cares about this simple little toy. It's a humble reminder to me that we adults often get side-tracked in life and focus too much on the bigger, better or more complex "things." Our church's vision is "Loving God and Loving People." How simple, right?

Matthew 18:3-4 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven."

What a mighty God we serve that uses his precious children to minister to us.

Thank you for the reminder, my small one.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment