Friday, November 18, 2011

Two Year Old Big Boy

Our sweet Preston is two years old. I can't believe my boy is growing so quickly. He is at such a fun age. He constantly surprises us with new things he has learned, especially when it's something we haven't taught him. For example, just this week he started calling "Help!" when he wakes from nap and in the mornings. I didn't even realize he knew the word much less how to use it. I must say it is pretty comical to hear him in there. He doesn't scream it like something is really wrong. It's just our alert to come get him.

He is such a tender-hearted little guy and just so sweet. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those moms who thinks my kid does no wrong. He has his temper tantrum moments just like everybody else. If he gets really mad he will yell and hit the wall or a chair or whatever is closest to him. He doesn't hit people though so I am thankful for that. But for the most part, he is such a happy and loving little boy. He randomly runs over to me throughout the day to give me a hug and kiss, leaning in and saying "MaaaaMaaa" all drawn out and sweet. He loves to hug everyone (people he knows) and tells everything bye...I mean everything. When we are in the car and turn off one road to another he tells the first road road bye-bye. If he leaves his sippy cup in another room and I tell him to go get it, he tells me bye before he goes to get it. He usually blows a kiss too. Well, he kisses his hand but doesn't do much blowing.

He can be clingy for sure but for the most part he is okay with us leaving him to go somewhere. When we drop him off at the nursery at church or for my weekly bible study, he is usually fine to say "Bye Mama" while I leave. I think he finally understands that even if we leave we will be back to get him.

He is obsessed with my Dad. I mean obsessed. He loves his Grandmama and his Nana but that Granddaddy or "NanNanny" is his buddy. Every time I tell him we are going somewhere he says "NanNanny?" I'm so thankful for it. He is Preston's only granddad but he is definitely as good as two!

Preston's favorite things are cars, trucks, choo-choos and any kind of ball. He loves footballs and basketballs. It's so funny that since football season is here he watches Blake and how he reacts to the TV so now when he sees football on he says "Football, yeah!!" while clenching his fists. He loves to be like  his Daddy.

He knows most of his body parts and can point to everything. My favorite is asking where his teeth are and he gives me a big cheesy grin. So cute. He also knows his farm animals and most of the sounds they make. He usually speaks in two word sentences. He has a hard time pronouncing some of his words but he is definitely improving.  There are several words that Blake and I understand but that others might not get at first. For example, his "Excuse Me" sounds like "MeMe". It's funny because he tells us "Excuse Me" but tells our dog and cat "Move!" if they are in his way.

We're working on colors and yellow and blue are probably the two he recognizes the easiest. He also loves to count in his own special way. We count his fingers to ten and he tries to copy us but just says "five" ten times instead. We'll get there buddy.

He is also talking back to the TV now. A lot of times on the cartoons they will ask a question that the viewer is supposed to answer yes or no. The first few times the suggestion is wrong and they say "no" and then by the third try it's a "yes". Preston has realized how many times they say no and actually answers the questions right. Of course he doesn't know what they are asking but he thinks he does apparently :)

He still loves to eat. He weighed 33 pounds at his two year check up which is the 97th percentile. The nurse says he was 3 feet tall but the doctor said Preston was in the 32nd percentile for height. I tried to measure him again and he is about 35 inches so close enough I guess.

Since he is now two and has no problem with nourishment, we are cutting off the whole milk. Reduced fat for now and maybe 1% later on if he needs too. He is still fairly picky. His favorites are chicken nuggets or fingers. He won't eat grilled chicken though. He will also eat beef roast or "meat" as he calls it. He still loves Arby's roast beef too. He really only likes corn or green peas as far as vegetables. He will some okra though too. He loves french fries but who doesn't? He also loves fruit and yogurt too. And cheese! Gosh he loves string cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. More favorites are fruit loops and cheerios. And of course, cookies or "tookies". He either wants a "tookie" or a popsicle for a treat. Just in recent months he started eating macaroni and cheese. I think it was the texture he didn't like at first but now it's definitely a favorite. Italian pasta salad is a favorite too. Okay, enough food talk.

Preston loves to play with other kids and really has a blast with his cousins and friends at playgroup. Our next door neighbors have three kids that are all between the ages of 5-12 and Preston just watches them in awe. The boys will play basketball outside and Preston makes me take him over there to watch. They are so sweet to let him have a turn too. I really hope he enjoys being a big brother in a few months. I think it will definitely be an adjustment for him but I really think he will enjoy having a sibling.

Tis all for now on my big boy two year old. I will be back sooner than later with a party post!

No comments:

Post a Comment