Wednesday, May 23, 2012

1 Month Old


Our girl is already a month old. I can't believe how fast the time goes by. It's amazing to think I have a two and half year old and a one month old. Two kids! And they bring Blake and I so much joy. I'm so thankful.

I'm not gonna lie, those first few days and weeks were definitely tough. Things now are by no means easy but we seem to have adjusted to our new family size. And can I just say I have the best family and friends.  The first three weeks after we got home from the hospital I think we had to supply dinner for ourselves twice. As any new mom knows, a hot meal for your family is so appreciated when you aren't up to preparing or have the time to do it yourself.

Preston has done very well with his new little sister. He truly loves her so much. Sometimes I have to tell him to wait on something while I'm nursing Ella or changing her, etc. and he usually very patient to wait. And if he does get huffy about waiting he never blames or takes it out on her. He will walk up to her at the same time and give her a kiss on the head. He's such a sweetheart.

Ella is such a precious baby. She nursed well from the very beginning and is still doing great. The first few weeks she slept almost all the time but she is definitely more alert now and more aware of the world. I remember Preston never wanted to be put down in the bouncy seat or swing but Ella is a big fan of her swing and takes most of her daytime naps in there. She will hang around in the bouncy a few minutes too but not for a really long period of time.

The last two weeks or so she seemed to have developed some colic. It's not nearly as bad as Preston's but we have been working to see what helps her. Her doctor recommended a probiotic called BioGaia and she has been on it for 4 days. It says it takes about a week to see a difference. I was worried about my diet affecting her tummy so I have been doing my best to avoid the most common culprits to cause gassy/fussy babies. I knew dairy, especially milk, caused gas but I have been researching the last few days and it seems milk is probably the worst for causing colicky babies. I am a big milk fan. I eat cereal every morning and love milk with all sorts of stuff. So off to the grocery store I went and bought some soymilk. It's really pretty good! I didn't have any milk yesterday and Ella did very well last night. She normally gets fussy in the evenings. She fussed a little bit but not nearly as much as normal. Hopefully it will continue to improve!

Nighttime sleep is different each night. Most nights she will sleep about 3 hours at a time but for a while it was every hour she would wake and fuss. I'm hoping the dairy I am cutting out will help with it now.

As for more detailed stats, we went for her one month check up yesterday and she weighs 11 lbs 12 oz. and measured 22.25 inches. Big girl! She has the cutest fat rolls on her arms and legs. I love chubby babies :) She is in the 95th percentile for weight and 93rd for length. Preston at 4 weeks was 9 lbs 15 oz and 21.75 inches long. But he was also a full pound less than Ella at birth and was 3 weeks early. I'm curious to see how they compare as she grows.

On a more fun side of things, she just started smiling! It's so precious. I caught a picture of her smiling on her one month birthday :)

More posts to come soon...as long as I get both kids to sleep at the same time :)






No comments:

Post a Comment