We went for Preston's 18 month check up yesterday. Compared to our last few appointments where he totally flipped out, this one was slightly better...in that he only screamed most of the appointment instead of the entire appointment. Progress, yes!
I managed to peel him off of me long enough to set him on the scales, giving us a whopper of 29 pounds. And apparently he was measured wrong at his 15 month check up since he was an inch shorter this time (33 1/2 then and 32 1/2 now). He is in the 95% for weight and 50% for height.
He passed his 18 month evaluation with flying colors and gave a few struts in the room to prove his awesome WALKING abilities. Oh, did I forget to mention that? Our boy started walking 2 days after he turned 17 months. So so so so so so so so proud!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a short little iphone video of the day he started walking. We weren't at home so I didn't have my videocamera so I apologize for the poor quality. This is probably the 3rd time he walked across to me in those first few minutes so please excuse my annoying voice...
Once he started walking that day, he progressed rapidly and within a few days he was a pro! What a relief! I can tell he is much happier now that he knows he can get around without crawling or "crab-walking" everywhere. Not to mention I can actually set him down in a store/sidewalk etc. to let him walk around...which he prefers...and so do my arms.
He is saying more words now although he can't say some of them very well. He's giving it his best shot though and I'm sure his pronunciations will continue to progress over time. Let's see, of course we still have Lola, kitty, ball and juice which are probably his favorite words. He can also say book, stinky, hey, Daddy, block, bird, Moose (referring to Moose A. Moose on Nick Jr), banana (sounds more like ba-na), dog-dog for dog. I'm not sure why he doubles it because we never said it that way to him. He also says baby. He loves to point out the babies when we are out in public. Although most of the "babies" are about his age, lol.
He is still obsessed with pulling objects out of containers and putting them back in. This includes but is not limited to snacks in a cup, toys in a basket, books on the bookshelf and his new favorite, laundry. When I transfer washed clothes to the dryer, I now have to put them in the floor and let him do it. Otherwise he will start pulling the wet clothes back out of the dryer just so he can be the one to put them in there. He's my big helper :)
He still loves his books. He carries them around and will hand me one to read that he picked out. He turns the pages for me, usually trying to skip over a few and then ends up handing me another book before I'm finished reading the current one. And often I am left all alone reading aloud since he tends to wander. His favorite book is not even a real book. It's his hardback photo book containing pictures from when he was born. He carefully turns the pages (he must realize it's a special book because this usually isn't the case) and points to the "baby" in every picture. It's so cute.
He loves his cars and balls. Those are his first toys of choice over anything else. He "vroom vrooms" all over the house pushing his little trucks. He loves to see the big trucks outside too. The garbage truck is always a favorite to watch coming down the street. He also loves to point out the birds and airplanes in the sky. He's very intrigued by them.
And to end the post, here's a sweet picture of our little guy.

No comments:
Post a Comment